Black Arts Institute: 25in25 Virtual Summer Intensive
Dates: July 6th – August 7th, 2020
Duration: 5 weeks, 25 hours of classes per week
The 25in25 Virtual Summer Intensive series consists of 25 sessions over 25 days in 5 weeks that offers you exclusive access to top-tier professionals in the fields of theater, film, TV, dance, and history from across the world. The Black Arts Institute provides a sacred virtual space to connect with a select group of students from across the world within the Black Arts Institute’s mission of training theater artists in becoming vibrant and contributing members that celebrate and champion the exquisite diversity of local, national and global arts’ communities in the 21st century through the lens of the Black Theater Canon.
Over a five-week period, you will:
- Garner access to leading titans, storytellers, activists and practitioners currently working in the GLOBAL entertainment industry across stage and screen
- Engage in intimate 5 two-hour length lecture sessions per week, with a one-hour excavation to unpack and discuss the topics and touchstones covered in each session
- Be offered the ability to refer to previously recorded sessions you were unable to attend during the five-week period for a limited time
- Build and strengthen your ties to creative professionals from across the globe
- Participate in voice and speech classes to build ensemble and harness your instrument through an Afro-centric lense
- Learn the correlation between movement/gesture and historical period in movement and dance classes
- Leave with an understanding of the aesthetic, socio-cultural and historical components involved in bringing contemporary black theater to life
BAI faculty and lecturers have included: Stephen McKinley Henderson, Ruben Santiago-Hudson, Phylicia Rashad, Michele Shay, Sonia Sanchez, Michael Eric Dyson, Jerome Preston Bates, Robert O’Hara, Camille A. Brown.
HOW TO APPLY:
Admission to the Black Arts Institute: 25in25 Virtual Summer Intensive is by audition and interview. Applicants must be 18 years of age or older. Student visas for international study are not available for this program at this time.
1. Click Here to Submit the Online Application Form.
2. Login info will be emailed to you after submission. Login to ADLERnet to upload your Headshot (or any photo of you) and Resume.
3. Once submitted, an associate will be in contact with you. If you cannot audition in person, please submit a video audition using the Video Audition Form.
1. A performance of one contemporary/realism monologue no longer than 90 seconds in length.
Summer Intensive NYC AUDITIONS:
**At this time, in-person auditions have been suspended in lieu of video auditions through the Video Audition Submission Form.
If you have any questions, email Melissa, Program Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org