The submission period is now closed. The Harold Clurman Playwrights Division accepted submissions from June 1 through July 31st, 2020. The 2020-2021 guidelines below are provided in case they are useful to writers considering a future submission. Please note that guidelines and criteria may change in the next round.
Seeking new, full-length ensemble plays with casts that have a majority of female characters or gender neutral characters. Plays must be new, unproduced works and require minimal set, props, costumes. One or more play may be selected for a student production. Please note: this is the only search that corresponds with the studio’s full-time actor-training programs.
The Stella Adler Studio of Acting is seeking submissions from Black playwrights for the Harold Clurman Playwright-in-Residence program. This is a collaborative residency that is mutually beneficial to the mission of the studio and the playwright. Please note: this search focuses on professional or aspiring professional writers who work with the studio’s professional acting company (not students). We are seeking playwrights who:
– are in their early careers
– are unpublished
– have not yet had professional productions other than those using the Equity showcase code
– have a vested interest in working with the studio’s community of artists
– are interested in engaging in a discussion about how the studio can support and challenge their work
This is a merit-based residency search. We are particularly interested in diversity – diverse writers, voices, viewpoints, perspectives.
Completed applications must include a required online application form AND a full-length, polished but unpublished play (a full-length play is one that constitutes a full evening of theater; a 90-minute one act play is acceptable).
Please note that applicants who advance to the final round of consideration may be asked for a second work sample.
Applicants will be considered for the playwright-in-residence position as well as:
– participation in the First Breath New Play Reading Series
– potential collaboration in student actor-training workshops/productions
– Completed applications must include a required application form and a full-length play.
– All play submissions should be “blind”. The cover page should ONLY include the title of your play. Your name should not be anywhere on the blinded script. This copy will be shared with the committee of play readers who will not know the authors of the plays they are reading.
– Please do not include any of the following anywhere on the script: synopsis, development history, representation. We ask this because we are seeking a play based on artistic merit and we want artistic merit alone to be the influencing factor for a script’s advancement.
– Paper applications will not be accepted.