The Stella Adler Studio of Acting is at an exciting time of growth and seeks a highly skilled and passionate development professional to serve as the company’s first Director of Development. Individual will create and implement a strategic program to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward donors and board members to expand support for the school and cultural center. While the Director will oversee all fundraising activities, her/his primary focus will be on individual gifts and grants.
Ideal candidate will be successful working with people at all levels of an arts organization including board members, staff and artists. Director will build the department from the ground up, help build and manage the board and report to the Artistic Director. As the organization grows, the aim is to expand the development team to include two full-time Development Associates over the next three to five years. Passion for theater, arts education and the transformative power of art is necessary.
Director will build and maintain a relational fundraising and development program with a focus on individual gifts and grants. The studio currently raises 5% of its annual operating budget from contributions and seeks to expand support steadily over the next decade to support strategic goals. In addition to maintaining grant writing and reporting to current funders, some five- to ten-year strategic goals include:
• Expanding donor-based giving in all aspects, emphasizing the annual nature of donor participation;
• Expanding special giving opportunities in areas of scholarship funds and program underwriting and/or sponsorship;
• Initiating capital giving program and laying groundwork for soliciting specific gifts;
• Designing and beginning implementation of a planned giving program toward an endowment program;
• Designating and beginning funding a special unrestricted fund
The Stella Adler Studio of Acting offers a growing and fast-paced environment, a team of administrators dedicated to the studio’s long-term growth and an ethos that encourages an atmosphere of excellence and collaborative problem-solving which values humanity above all else. The ideal candidate will:
• Be an innovative administrator and leader, with the ability to inspire those working with him/her toward accomplishing common objectives.
• Be very well-organized, able to plan and manage strategically, set priorities and focus on details while not losing sight of the big picture, with the flexibility to welcome and embrace change, and the ability to work in a collaborative environment, including the ability to “manage up” with a collaborative and respectful style.
• Be someone with initiative, creativity, energy, and a sense of humor, who enjoys working as a team player with staff but also has the ability to work independently and as a self-starter.
• Have a genuine interest in building a cultural center with world-class programming for the every man/woman; believe in the actor as both an artist and an intelligent, inspiring potential participant in social transformation
• Understand and support the studio’s mission as well as its history in relationship to its present and future, and have the ability to articulate the mission and ideals to others.
• Have a passion for and background in development or a related area as a career path.
• Have excellent writing and communication skills as well as proficiency in Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge (or comparable fundraising software).
This is a full-time position starting immediately. This is a salaried position. Benefits include Health, Dental, Vision, FSA and 401k plan. Email cover letter, resume and writing sample with references to email@example.com with ‘Director of Development’ in the subject line. E.O.E. No phone calls please.