NOTICE: At this time the Musical Theatre Conservatory has been delayed until the fall of 2020 when facility upgrades are completed to accommodate the new program.
The Musical Theatre Conservatory is a cutting edge, one-year program providing rigorous musical theatre training anchored in the core belief of the Stella Adler Studio, that growth as an actor and growth as a human being are synonymous. Impassioned acting rooted in craft is most essential in the pivotal moment when a scene becomes a song.
Designed for the experienced actor with requisite skills in song and dance, the Musical Theatre Intensive immerses students into a deeper, more precise understanding of their acting ability and development of acting skills while connecting their work with the rest of the world.
Musical Interpretation and Performance
Audition Skills and Strategies
Musical Theatre Analysis
Musical Theatre History
Acting a Song
Voice and Speech
Movement for Actors
MT Ensemble Rehearsal Process
Peter Flynn (Director of Musical Theatre Programs)
Mark Fifer (Musical Director)
Andréa Burns (In the Heights)
J. Oconer Navarro (Music Director)
Ric Ryder (The Music Man)
Betsy Parrish (Master Teacher, La Cage Aux Folles)
Alithea Phillips (Head-of-Voice)
James Tripp (Head-of-Acting)
Joanne Edelmann (Mimi Garrard Dance Co)
*faculty, guest artists, and program details subject to change
Admission is by interview and audition. Applicants must be 18 years of age or older, and must submit the following:
1. A completed application form.
2. Headshot and Resume
3. Two letters of recommendation, including the referee’s address and telephone number. The letters should be from teacher or persons who can supply a recommendation as to the applicant’s character and potential. Referees may be contacted directly.
4. A $65 non-refundable application fee (payable to Stella Adler Studio of Acting, Inc).
1. A performance of two contrasting musical selections with the following criteria:
a) one standard, one contemporary
b) one up-tempo, one ballad
c) 60 seconds in length each
2. A performance of one monologue no longer than 60 seconds in length (contemporary or classical).
Please see our Audition Tour Schedule for other locations and dates.
*Video Auditions are also being accepted.
Phone Interviews and Video Auditions are acceptable, if necessary. After the interview and audition have taken place, applicants will be formally notified phone regarding their acceptance in the program.