Like its namesake this program was created to provide support to emerging playwrights. Resident playwrights receive a modest stipend and work with the Artistic Director to craft a “playwright’s choice” year-long residency. Founded in the belief that writers know best what their work needs to advance to the next level, the residency gives playwrights a menu of options to choose from including access to studio space, collaborations with Harold Clurman Lab Theater Company actors and directors for readings and workshops and more. The Harold Clurman Lab Theater has presented new plays by the playwright in residence in multiple recent seasons.
The 2020-2021 Playwright-in-Residence is to be announced.
- Miranda Rose Hall (2019-2020 Resident)
- Jan Rosenberg (2017-2018 Resident)
- Beto O’Byrne (2015-2017 resident)
- Sam Byron (2014-2015 Resident)
- Dennis Staroselsky (2013-2014 Resident)
- Mia Chung (2012-2013 resident)
- Halley Feiffer (2012-2013 resident)
- Anton Dudley (2011-2012 resident)
- Christina Gorman (2010-2011 resident)
- Zayd Dohrn (2009-2010 resident)
- Peter Nickowitz (2008-2009 Resident)