Submission period is now closed.
The Harold Clurman Playwrights Division submission period is now closed. A new search will be launched in 2019. For playwrights who are interested in applying in the future please see the guidelines below for an idea of what the division is looking for. Please note that these guidelines may change.
Seeking new, full-length ensemble plays for young actors with casts that have a majority of female characters or gender neutral characters. One or more play may be selected for a student production (this is a curricular project for full-time acting students). Plays must be new, unproduced works and require minimal set, props, costumes.
The Stella Adler Studio of Acting is seeking applications from playwrights for the Harold Clurman Playwright-in-Residence program. This is a collaborative residency that is mutually beneficial to the mission of the studio and the playwright. We are seeking playwrights who:
– are in their early careers
– are unpublished
– have not yet had professional productions other than those using the showcase code
– have a vested interest in working with a community of artists
– are interested in engaging in a discussion about how the studio can support and challenge their work
While this is a merit-based residency search, we are particularly interested in diversity – diverse writers, voices, viewpoints, perspectives.
Completed applications must include a required online application form AND a full-length, polished but unpublished play (a full-length play is one that constitutes a full evening of theater; a 90-minute one act play is acceptable).
Please note that applicants who advance to the final round of consideration may be asked for a second work sample.
Applicants will be considered for the playwright-in-residence position as well as:
– participation in the First Breath New Play Reading Series
– participation in the Teen program’s New Works Intensive
– Completed applications must include a required application form and a full-length play.
– All play submissions should be “blind”. The cover page should ONLY include the title of your play. Your name should not be anywhere on the blinded script. This copy will be shared with the committee of play readers who will not know the authors of the plays they are reading.
– Please do not include any of the following anywhere on the script: synopsis, development history, representation. We ask this because readers are seeking a play based on artistic merit and we want artistic merit alone to be the influencing factor for a script’s advancement.
– Paper applications will not be accepted.